This submission has been made in response to the Irish Department of the Environment’s request for comments on its Draft Framework for Sustainable Development in Ireland.
We welcome the opportunity to input into this Framework. Our recommendations are as follows:
1. Increase the extent and depth of the Framework.
2. Incorporate a review of the last 10 or 15 years into the Framework.
3. (Re-)Establish a National Sustainable Development Council.
4. Recognise the roots of the economic crisis in the growth-dependence of the monetary system and constrained energy resources.
5. Implement a Job Guarantee to achieve full employment and move towards sustainability.
6. Adopt a programme of Environmental Tax Reform.
7. Strengthen local economies, by means including local currencies.
8. Prepare for major disruptions due to peak oil.
9. Continue and develop engagement aimed at assisting international agreement on Climate Change.
10. Bring forward a Climate Change Bill.
11. Expand building retrofit.
12. Develop better statistics and analysis for sustainable development.
13. Integrate Sustainable Development into research policy.
14. Develop and implement Waste Policy based on Sustainability.
15. Educate for systemic change not just individual responsibility.
16. Develop agricultural policies to mitigate climate change impacts.
17. Accelerate the implementation of the Smarter Travel policy.
18. Link health with transport, spatial planning and agricultural policies.
19. Expand on education/training.
20. Support transparency for extractive industries and multinationals.
21. Specifically give County/City Development Boards a Sustainable Development remit.
Download the complete submission (PDF format)
Featured image: Poulnabrone pasture. Author: Nicolas Raymond. Source: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1377085
Note: Feasta is a forum for exchanging ideas. By posting on its site Feasta agrees that the ideas expressed by authors are worthy of consideration. However, there is no one ‘Feasta line’. The views of the article do not necessarily represent the views of all Feasta members.